USD Coin (USDC) Stablecoin Review
- Financial Institutions
USD Coin (USDC) is a stablecoin pegged to the US Dollar. Issued by Circle, USDC is backed 1:1 to the US Dollar with customer funds held in segregated FDIC insured bank accounts. USDC is the second largest stablecoin by market cap and is exclusively issued as an ERC-20 on the Ethereum blockchain.
USD Coin Stablecoin - 2020 Comprehensive Review
USD Coin Stablecoin Overview
|Exchanges||Coinbase Pro, Binance, Poloniex, Kucoin, Bitfinex, OKEx, Bitmax, Huobi Global, Gate.io, KyberSwap, IDEX, Uniswap, HitBTC, Oasis Trade, Kraken|
|Hardware Wallets||Ledger, Trezor|
USD Coin (USDC) Exchanges
USD Coin (USDC) Wallets
|Ledger Nano M||7/10||Mobile Application||$96.00|
USD Coin Borrow Rates
|Platform||APR Rate||Collateral LTV||Loan Amounts|
|Compound||0%||50% - 75%||$1 - $100,000|
|Celsius Network||3.46% - 6.26%||25% - 50%||$1,500 - $1,000,000|
|Nuo Network||2.26%||50% - 70%||$25 - $1,000,000|
|BlockFi||4.5% - 13.25%||20% - 50%||$5,000 - $1,000,000|
USD Coin Interest Rates
|Platform||APY Rate||Lockup Terms||Deposit Amounts|
|Compound||354800.00%||Flexible||$1 - $100,000|
|Nuo Network||0.03%||Flexible||$1 - $100,000|
|Celsius Network||11.55%||Flexible||$1 - $100,000|
|Nexo||8%||Flexible||$1 - $2,000,000|
|Crypto.com||6% - 10%||3 Months||$25 - $1,000,000|
|BlockFi||8.6%||Flexible||$1 - $1,000,000|
|Coinbase Rewards||0.15%||Flexible||$1 - $1,000,000|
USD Coin Stablecoin Alternatives
Pros and Cons
- Native ERC20 - USDC is exclusively minted and used on the Ethereum blockchain. As a result, anyone can verify the circulating supply and monitor transactions. USDC can also easily be stored in a variety of personal crypto wallets.
- Coinbase Featured Stablecoin - Coinbase has selected USDC as it’s featured stablecoin guaranteeing an exchange rate of 1:1 (USDC:USD). USDC can easily be withdrawn for USD to user bank accounts.
- Liquidity - USDC is the second most most liquid stablecoin behind USDT and is traded on a majority of the biggest cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Monthly Audits - Audits are performed regularly by accounting firm Grant Thornton to ensure that USDC is backed 1:1 by US Dollars in segregated bank accounts. Circle, Ltd. frequently publishes these reports.
- Regulated & Compliant - Circle, Ltd. is fully regulated and licensed by the NYDFS (New York State Department of Financial Services) to do business in the US. The NYDFS is the nation’s toughest financial regulator.
- Strong Institutional Backing - Circle, Ltd. has received multiple rounds of venture capital and is extremely well funded for operations.
- Centralized - USDC is minted, maintained, and operated by Circle, Ltd. Centralized stablecoins can be frozen or confiscated in cases where a user is deemed to have broken regulatory laws or acted in an illegal capacity with the asset.
- Purchase & Redemption KYC - In order to redeem USDC for fiat, users must undergo KYC and provide identity documentation to Circle, Ltd. This is very standard procedure, and only a negative for privacy focused users.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is USDC?
USD Coin (USDC) is a stablecoin pegged 1:1 to the US Dollar. USDC is issued and maintained by Circle, LTD.
Is USDC safe?
USDC is regulated, audited monthly to ensure full collateralization, regularly tested for security flaws, and maintained by a well funded financial institution in Circle, Ltd. UDSC is arguably the safest stablecoin available on the market.
Where can I buy USDC?
USDC can be purchased with fiat directly through Coinbase or the issuer website directly with an individual or institutional account. USDC can be purchased with crypto on several exchanges including Binance, Coinbase Pro, Poloniex, and OKEx.
Where can I sell USDC for USD?
Can I earn interest on USDC?
USDC is a highly transparent stablecoin with above average liquidity. The circulating issued supply has seen consistent growth with a current market cap of over $400M USD. Monthly audits released publicly in addition to strong institutional backing have instilled investor confidence in the stablecoin.
Coinbase has recently expanded USDC availability to over 100 countries worldwide. Beyond trading utility, the efforts of both Coinbase and USDC have enabled unbanked citizens in any country to access a US dollar based asset through just a mobile phone.
USDC is our highest rated stablecoin. Circle, Ltd. has done an excellent job creating a secure, liquid, transparent, and easy to use stablecoin with several deposit and redemption options.
As Coinbase’s preferred stablecoin, USDC is here to stay and is an excellent choice for both retail and institutional investors.
|Learn More||Best Features|
USD Coin Official Website
Legal & Regulation - Facts & Figures
More Stablecoin Reviews
Methodology: How We Review And Compare
Our mission is to provide the most informative, unbiased, and useful reviews and comparisons possible for products and services in the blockchain finance industry. Assessments are powered by experts with years of relevant experience.
The stablecoins found in this category have been researched extensively by our team as part of the review process. Factors we analyze in our stablecoin reviews and comparisons include: trading volume, listings, purchase and redemption process, issuer trust, collateral type, borrow rates, interest rates, and wallet compatibility.
The Blockfer Promise: We do everything in our power to keep content up to date and in the best interests of our audience. Blockfer does not shy away from poor ratings. Products or services that do not meet our reputability standards will be rated as 'Not Trusted'. Compensation from partners does not, and will never, effect our review process.