Tether (USDT) Stablecoin Review
- High Risk Traders
Tether (USDT) is a stablecoin pegged to the US Dollar. USDT is issued and maintained by Tether Holdings and was the first stablecoin to gain widespread adoption after launching in 2014. USDT tokens are issued on multiple blockchains and are redeemable at a 1:1 rate for US Dollars through the Tether platform.
Tether Stablecoin - 2020 Comprehensive Review
Tether Stablecoin Overview
|Exchanges||Kucoin, Bitfinex, Binance, Poloniex, OKEx, Gate.io, Bittrex Global, Kraken, Huobi Global, Bitmax, Binance US, KyberSwap, HitBTC, Bitcoin.com|
|Hardware Wallets||Ledger, Trezor|
Tether (USDT) Exchanges
Tether (USDT) Wallets
|Ledger Nano M||7/10||Mobile Application||$96.00|
Tether Borrow Rates
|Platform||APR Rate||Collateral LTV||Loan Amounts|
|Nexo||5.9%||15% - 75%||$500 - $2,000,000|
|Crypto.com||8%||50% - 65%||$1,000 - $100,000|
|Celsius Network||3.46% - 6.26%||25% - 50%||$1,500 - $1,000,000|
|Compound||0%||50% - 75%||$1 - $100,000|
Tether Interest Rates
|Platform||APY Rate||Lockup Terms||Deposit Amounts|
|Celsius Network||11.55%||Flexible||$1 - $100,000|
|Nexo||10%||Flexible||$1 - $2,000,000|
|Crypto.com||6% - 10%||3 Months||$25 - $1,000,000|
|Binance Savings||#N/A% - 2.23%||Flexible||$1 - $1,000,000|
|Compound||#NAME?%||Flexible||$1 - $1,000,000|
Tether Stablecoin Alternatives
Pros and Cons
- ERC20 Swap - Up until very recently, USDT was mainly transacted on its native blockchain Omni. Tether recently announced that USDT will now be swapped over to the Ethereum blockchain. This will improve transparency, transaction costs, and security.
- Liquidity - USDT is currently the most liquid stablecoin available on the market, traded on almost every major non-us facing exchange.
- Multiple Currencies - Tether also has EUR (EURT) and CNY (CNHT) stablecoins in circulation.
- Regulatory Risk - Tether has long been a topic of discussion for governments and financial regulators. Recently, the NY attorney general sued Bitfinex and Tether alleging that they provided services to NY residents after they agreed to cease operations in the country. Users should be aware that is entirely possible that Tether’s legal issues will continue.
- Transparency - Tether has not been transparent with their accounting throughout the years, causing many to doubt whether the stablecoin is actually backed 1:1 with US Dollars.
- Redemption Requirements - A very retail unfriendly minimum of $100,000 in USDT is required for USD redemption.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a centralized stablecoin pegged to the US Dollar and is currently the most widely traded stablecoin in the cryptocurrency markets.
Is Tether (USDT) an ERC20?
Yes. Tether will become an ERC20 stablecoin running on the Ethereum blockchain by the end of 2019.
Can Tether (USDT) be redeemed for USD?
Tether can be redeemed 1:1 for USD at Bitfinex and directly through the Tether holdings website at Tether.to.
Is Tether (USDT) backed 1:1 to USD?
No. In a recent court case with the NYAG (New York Attorney General) iFinex, the parent company of Tether Holdings, admitted that Tether is only 74% backed by USD in segregated bank accounts by fiat currency and securities as of April 2019.
Where can I buy Tether (USDT)?
Tether (USDT) was the first major stablecoin to enter the market and still maintains a dominant share of exchange traded volume. Hundreds of crypto assets are traded against USDT and the stablecoin can be found on almost every non-us facing cryptocurrency exchange.
Tether has remained a very popular choice with Asian based crypto investors and the recent announcement to swap the circulating supply of USDT over to the Ethereum blockchain (ERC-20s) should help to continue this trend.
To the surprise of many, Tether has survived security breaches, PR nightmares, legality issues, and accusations of operating on a fractional reserve for over 5 years.
We believe there are better alternatives to USDT. USDC, TUSD, and PAX all offer a superior stablecoin and service. Blockfer recommends that users exercise precautions with Tether until more transparent audits are made available and their pending legal issues are resolved.
|Learn More||Best Features|
Tether Official Website
Legal & Regulation - Facts & Figures
More Stablecoin Reviews
Methodology: How We Review And Compare
Our mission is to provide the most informative, unbiased, and useful reviews and comparisons possible for products and services in the blockchain finance industry. Assessments are powered by experts with years of relevant experience.
The stablecoins found in this category have been researched extensively by our team as part of the review process. Factors we analyze in our stablecoin reviews and comparisons include: trading volume, listings, purchase and redemption process, issuer trust, collateral type, borrow rates, interest rates, and wallet compatibility.
The Blockfer Promise: We do everything in our power to keep content up to date and in the best interests of our audience. Blockfer does not shy away from poor ratings. Products or services that do not meet our reputability standards will be rated as 'Not Trusted'. Compensation from partners does not, and will never, effect our review process.