Gemini Dollar (GUSD) Stablecoin Review
- Financial Institutions
Gemini Dollar (GUSD) is a stablecoin pegged to the US Dollar. Issued and maintained by Gemini Trust LLC, GUSD is audited monthly to ensure a 1:1 collateralization to the US Dollar with customer funds held in FDIC insured bank accounts. GUSD is the smallest centralized stablecoin by market cap and is exclusively issued as an ERC-20 on the Ethereum blockchain.
Gemini Dollar Stablecoin - 2020 Comprehensive Review
Gemini Dollar stablecoin Overview
|Exchanges||OKEx, Bitfinex, Gemini, IDEX|
|Hardware Wallets||Ledger, Trezor|
Gemini Dollar (GUSD) Exchanges
Gemini Dollar (GUSD) Wallets
|Ledger Nano M||7/10||Mobile Application||$96.00|
Gemini Dollar Borrow Rates
|Platform||APR Rate||Collateral LTV||Loan Amounts|
|BlockFi||6.5% - 15.25%||20% - 50%||$5,000 - $1,000,000|
|Celsius Network||3.46% - 6.26%||25% - 50%||$1,500 - $1,000,000|
Gemini Dollar Interest Rates
|Platform||APY Rate||Lockup Terms||Deposit Amounts|
|Celsius Network||11.55%||Flexible||$1 - $100,000|
|BlockFi||8.6%||Flexible||$1 - $1,000,000|
Gemini Dollar Stablecoin Alternatives
Pros and Cons
- ERC20 - GUSD is exclusively issued on the Ethereum blockchain as an ERC20 token. ERC20s are easily stored in personal hardware wallets and benefit from the many pros of the Ethereum blockchain: Transparency, security, and fast transaction speeds.
- BlockFi Interest Account - The BlockFi crypto interest account currently yields an 8.2% APR on GUSD for account holders
- Monthly Audits - Gemini Trust’s US Dollar account balances are audited monthly by BPM, LLP to ensure that GUSD is fully collateralized 1:1 to US Dollars.
- Regulated & Compliant - Gemini Trust LLC is fully regulated and licensed to operate GUSD by the NYDFS (New York Department Of Financial Services).
- Strong Institutional Backing - Gemini Trust Company, LLC was founded by billionaire investors Tyler & Cameron Winklevoss and is extremely well funded.
- Liquidity - GUSD does not have sufficient liquidity across the top cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Centralized - GUSD is a centralized stablecoin issued and maintained by the Gemini Trust Company, LLC. All centralized stablecoins are subject to regulations and can therefore be censored, seized, or confiscated in the event that activity or transactions deemed illegal has occurred.
- Redemption KYC - Privacy focused users should be aware that withdrawing GUSD for USD requires personal identification documents and passing of standard KYC procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Gemini Dollar (GUSD)?
Gemini Dollar (GUSD) is a stablecoin pegged 1:1 to the US Dollar. GUSD is issued and maintained by Gemini Trust Company, LLC.
Is Gemini Dollar (GUSD) an ERC20?
Yes. GUSD runs natively on the Ethereum blockchain as an ERC20 token. The contract address can be viewed here.
Where can I buy Gemini Dollar (GUSD) with USD?
Gemini Dollars can be purchased with USD through Gemini directly.
Where can I sell Gemini Dollar (GUSD) for USD?
Gemini Dollars can be converted and withdrawn into USD at a 1:1 rate through Gemini.
Can I earn interest on Gemini Dollar (GUSD)?
Yes. Blockfer’s stablecoin index provides several options for investors looking to earn interest on their GUSD.
GUSD is a very legitimate stablecoin issued by the Gemini Trust Company. From a regulatory and compliance standpoint, the company has done everything right with GUSD - monthly public audits and routine smart contract security tests. Unfortunately, liquidity has been and continues to be a major issue with GUSD.
GUSD has seen a rapid decline in market cap and overall usage compared to its thriving centralized competition in USDC, PAX, & TUSD. Even worse, the majority of GUSD exchange traded volume is on exchanges that are known wash trading offenders.
While Blockfer does not recommend GUSD for trading, the stablecoin does have a use case for investors looking to earn interest. BlockFi currently offers a crypto interest accounts paying 8.2% APR on GUSD balances.
|Learn More||Best Features|
Gemini Dollar Official Website
Legal & Regulation - Facts & Figures
More Stablecoin Reviews
Methodology: How We Review And Compare
Our mission is to provide the most informative, unbiased, and useful reviews and comparisons possible for products and services in the blockchain finance industry. Assessments are powered by experts with years of relevant experience.
The stablecoins found in this category have been researched extensively by our team as part of the review process. Factors we analyze in our stablecoin reviews and comparisons include: trading volume, listings, purchase and redemption process, issuer trust, collateral type, borrow rates, interest rates, and wallet compatibility.
The Blockfer Promise: We do everything in our power to keep content up to date and in the best interests of our audience. Blockfer does not shy away from poor ratings. Products or services that do not meet our reputability standards will be rated as 'Not Trusted'. Compensation from partners does not, and will never, effect our review process.