Kraken Exchange Review
- Advanced Traders
Kraken is a western market focused centralized cryptocurrency exchange based in San Francisco. A wide variety of trading options including OTC, futures, margin trading, and standard spot trading are available. Founded in 2011, Kraken is a trusted option for institutions and high volume traders.
Kraken Exchange - 2020 Comprehensive Review
Kraken Exchange Overview
|Trading Fees||Maker: 0.16% / Taker: 0.26%|
|Fiat Trading||Euro, US Dollars, Canadian Dollar, Japanese Yen|
|Purchase Options||Bank Transfer, Crypto Deposits|
|Trading Options||Spot Trading, Margin Trading, Futures Trading, Forex Trading|
|Order Types||Limit, Market, Stop Loss, Take Profit, Settle Position|
|Token Benefits||NO TOKEN|
|KYC Rules||Required For Withdrawals Greater Than $5,000 Per 24 hours.|
|Convert Micro Balance|
|Customer Service||24/7 Live Chat, support tickets, Monday to Friday phone support.|
|Promotions||Earn a fixed rate of 6% staking XTZ. COSMO & DASH coming soon|
Kraken General Trading Fees (Maker & Taker)
Tier Monthly Volume Requirement Maker Taker Maker
Level 1 $0.00 0.16% 0.26% - - Level 2 $50,001.00 0.14% 0.24% - - Level 3 $100,001.00 0.12% 0.22% - -
|Tier||Monthly Volume Requirement||Maker||Taker||Maker|
High volume & professional trading tier fees available here.
Kraken Withdrawal Fees
|Asset||Withdrawal Fees||Minimum Withdrawal|
Complete list of Kraken withdrawal fees per asset is available here.
Kraken does not charge deposit fees as long as minimum deposit requirements are met.
Kraken Markets & Volume
Kraken Top Markets
|Crypto Assets||Price||Pairs||24h Volume|
Kraken Supported Stablecoins
|Stablecoin Assets||Price||Pairs||24h Volume|
Kraken Exchange Alternatives
|Trading Fees||Maker : 0.16%|
Taker : 0.26%
|Maker : 0.1%|
Taker : 0.1%
|Maker : 0.15%|
Taker : 0.25%
|Purchase Options||Bank Transfer, Crypto Deposits||Crypto Deposits, Credit Cards||Bank Transfer, Crypto Deposits, Credit Cards|
|Trading Options||Spot Trading, Margin Trading, Futures Trading, Forex Trading||Spot Trading||Spot Trading, Margin Trading|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States||Hong Kong||San Francisco, California, United States|
Pros and Cons
- Established Exchange - Kraken is one of the oldest and most reputable cryptocurrency exchanges in the market. The exchange has an excellent track record and has been in operation since 2011.
- Fiat Deposits - Kraken accepts bank wire fiat deposits.
- Margin Trading - Margin trading with up to 5x leverage is available for all registered Kraken accounts including US customers.
- Regulated - Kraken is regulated and licensed to offer its services in all operational jurisdictions.
- Futures Trading - Kraken is one of the few cryptocurrency exchanges licensed to offer futures trading to US customers.
- Customer Service - Kraken has 24/7 live chat support, a well documented support ticket system, and even offers a weekday phone number that users can call during normal office hours.
- OTC Services - Kraken has a 24/7 OTC desk available to clients in dozens of countries. Supported fiat currencies include USD, EUR, CAD, and JPY. Supported crypto assets include BTC, ETH, USDT, and more.
- No Mobile App - Kraken does not have a mobile app for Android or IOS making trading on the go quite difficult.
- Trading Fees - Maker and taker fees on Kraken start at 0.16% and 0.26% respectively for retail traders. While these are competitive trading fees compared to other regulated North American exchanges like Gemini and Coinbase, they are still considerably higher than the global industry standard.
- Promotions - Kraken does not run many promotions of any considerable value for its users.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Kraken a safe exchange?
Kraken has been in business since 2011 and is one of the most established and respected cryptocurrency exchanges on the market. Having never suffered a major security breach in over 8 years of operation, it is safe to claim that Kraken is one of the safest cryptocurrency exchanges.
Does Kraken have a mobile app?
Unfortunately, Kraken does not have a mobile application for either Android or IOS.
Does Kraken offer margin trading?
Yes. Kraken offers margin trading with up to 5x leverage on select crypto asset pairs.
What are the trading fees on Kraken?
Retail traders can expect a range of maker and taker fees between 0.12% - 0.26% depending on their 30 day trading volume. Larger accounts with significant trading volume are eligible for further trading fee discounts.
Does Kraken accept US customers?
Yes. US customers are allowed to trade with no restrictions on Kraken.
Kraken is one of the most reputable cryptocurrency exchanges on the market. Services include a cryptocurrency exchange, a 24/7 OTC trading desk, and a futures trading platform. Kraken is regulatory compliant in all jurisdictions of operation and accepts US customers.
Kraken recently raised $13.5M from over 2,000 investors at a valuation of $4B USD. These funds have been allocated optimally, as the exchange has seen it’s trading volume grow exponentially despite adverse market conditions.
A secure track record, fiat deposits, multiple trading options, and excellent customer service have advanced Kraken's reputation as one of the most reputable cryptocurrency exchanges.
Blockfer highly recommends Kraken for both US and international users and is an excellent choice for high networth individuals looking to purchase large amounts of crypto assets.
|Learn More||Best Features|
kraken Official Website
Legal & Regulation - Facts & Figures
More Exchange Reviews
Methodology: How We Review And Compare
Our mission is to provide the most informative, unbiased, and useful reviews and comparisons possible for products and services in the blockchain finance industry. Assessments are powered by experts with years of relevant experience.
The cryptocurrency exchanges found in this category have been tested extensively by our team as part of the review process. Factors we analyze in our exchange reviews and comparisons include: liquidity, purchase options, user experience, trading fees, trading options, listed assets, reputation, mobile experience, and customer support.
The Blockfer Promise: We do everything in our power to keep content up to date and in the best interests of our audience. Blockfer does not shy away from poor ratings. Products or services that do not meet our reputability standards will be rated as 'Not Trusted'. Compensation from partners does not, and will never, effect our review process.